Friday, August 12, 2016

SPIRITUAL VITALITY

“The [uncompromisingly] righteous shall flourish like the palm tree
[be long-lived, stately, upright, useful and fruitful];
he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon [majestic, stable, durable and incorruptible].
Planted in the house of the Lord, they shall flourish in the courts of our God.
[Growing in grace], they shall still bring forth fruit in old age;
they shall be full of sap [of spiritual vitality]
and rich in the verdure [of trust, love and contentment].
[They are living memorials] to show that the Lord is upright and faithful to His promises;
He is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in Him. [Rom. 9:14]”
Psalm 92:12-15 (Amplified)

           
In my early twenties, I was part of a team that ministered at a nursing home.  I would play requested hymns on the piano, a young seminary student would preach a mini sermon, and we would chat with the residents.  One night the seminary student preached on Samson.  I thought, “What a stale topic!”  How wrong I was.  A frail-looking lady in a wheelchair said, “How encouraging that young man was!  God used Samson the mightiest when everyone thought he was all used up.  God slowed me down and put me in this home to witness to these poor, lonely people.  If I could still drive, I wouldn’t be here to minister to them.”  God not only used Mrs. G to minister to the residents.  Even after she was bedridden, we would gather around her bed; and she would pray for us individually.  She was truly full of sap and bringing forth fruit right up until the Lord called her home at the age of 85.  When I asked her the secret of being a sweet old lady, she told me I had to start right then by being a “sweet, young thing.”  If I want to bring forth fruit in my old age, I need to take time to grow in grace right now and each day of my life.  I need to slow down and allow the Lord to speak to my heart.  Then I need to allow the light of His presence to shine through me.  I need to live out the chorus of Mrs. G’s favorite hymn:
 “Footprints of Jesus that make the pathway glow;
  We will follow the steps of Jesus where’er they go.”
  (Footsteps of Jesus by Mary B. C. Slade)


No comments: