Monday, January 9, 2017

Ephesians 1:4 - CHOSEN


Chosen
by Susie Hale, Precious Jewels Ministries

“Pick me! Pick me!” the children shout,
For no one wants to be left out.
The one who cannot catch the ball,
Who isn’t a very good player at all,
Knows that she’ll be the very last one.
Being chosen last is not much fun.

I am that child of little skill,
But gracious God gives my heart a thrill
By telling me he chose me in Christ
Before the beginning of my earthly life.
Even before he created the world,
He chose this imperfect, sinful girl.

“For he chose us in him before the creation of the world 
to be holy and blameless in his sight.”
Ephesians 1:4 (NIV)

“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation.
Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption
of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of his glory.”
Ephesians 1:13-14 (NIV)

ĕklĕgŏmai – to select: - make choice, choose (out), chosen.

arrhabōn – a pledge, i.e. part of the purchase money or property given in advance as a security for the rest: - earnest. (Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible)

            “Oh dear, the teacher is about to make us choose teams.  If I’m appointed as a captain, I’ll end up choosing the losing team.  If I’m not a captain, I’ll be one of the last chosen. Either way, I can’t win. I wish I could be chosen first for a change.”  
            At an early age, we learn the value of being chosen and the pain of being left out. As life progresses we want to be chosen for the team, chosen for a date, or chosen for a job. We work hard at being desirable to the one doing the choosing.
            Praise the Lord, the most important choice was made before the foundation of the world. God chose me to be his child and be made new by trusting in Jesus Christ. This incredible gift was given to me, not because I deserved it, but because God CHOSE to love me.
            Not only did God choose me, but he gave me proof that I am his. He placed his Holy Spirit within me to confirm my relationship to him, to nurture me in learning his will and ways (John 16:13), and to allow me to communicate with him even when I am unable to put my needs into words (Romans 8:26-27). The Spirit’s work in my life is just a security deposit on the tremendous relationship I’ll have with the Lord when I live eternally with him. He is the earnest money of my inheritance in the Lord Jesus.
            Father, thank you for choosing me to be your child long before my parents even knew I would be theirs. Thank you for the Holy Spirit who communicates for me and to me that I may draw nearer to you.  Thank you for the promised inheritance I have because Christ is preparing a place for me. 

No comments: