Tuesday, January 24, 2017

EPHESIANS 3:12 - WITH CONFIDENCE BEFORE GOD'S THRONE


With Confidence 
Before God’s Throne

I have the freedom to approach Almighty God
Through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
For I know that his promise is for my good.
In him, I have eternal life.
I can be frank, even blunt before him
For he knows my heart before I speak.
So, in honesty I approach his throne
And admit that I am weak.

“This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus…
…In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.”
Ephesians 3:6 & 12 (NIV)

ĕpaggĕlia – an announcement (for information, assent or pledge: espec. a divine assurance of good): message, promise.

parrhēsia3954 – all out-spokenness, i.e. frankness, bluntness, publicity; by impl. assurance: - bold (X –ly, -ness, -ness of speech), confidence, X freely, X openly, X plainly (-ness).

            Recently some friends and I were discussing our over-familiarity with God. I fear that we take Ephesians 3:12 as license to approach the Lord flippantly. When taken in the context of the rest of the Bible, this cannot be the meaning. God created the world and all that is in it (Genesis 1 & 2). God is our provider and holds the power of life and death (Psalm 104:27-30). He is so overwhelming that no one may see his face and live (Exodus 33:20). When John saw the resurrected Jesus in his vision on the isle of Patmos, he fell at his feet like a dead man (Revelation 1:17). God is holy and all-powerful. We must always remember that.
            With all that in mind, I am even more amazed that all-powerful God has granted me the freedom to approach him with confidence. As my loving Father, he wants to have fellowship with me. He knows my heart and mind, chooses to forgive my sins, and has compassion on me remembering that he formed man out of dust (Psalm 103:10-14).  In Jesus, we have a high priest who enables us to approach a throne, not of wrath, but of grace (Hebrews 4:15-16). Our freedom and confidence come from the relationship with Christ as our Savior and God as our Father. We must never take the privilege lightly.
            Father, thank you for granting me the awesome privilege of communicating honestly with you. Since I know that you already know all that I think and feel, I can come honestly before you with my hurts and misunderstandings. Thank you for the grace that forgives my sins and loves me when I am unable to understand what you are doing in my life. Thank you for the assurance of your everlasting love. Let me never take the privilege of prayer for granted!

No comments: