Friday, January 20, 2017

EPHESIANS 2:19-22 - THE TEMPLE OF GOD

The Temple of God

God is building himself a temple,
And we are the stones he is using.
Christians being built together
Is the residence of his choosing.

“In him the whole building is joined together
 and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord.
And in him you too are being built together
to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.”
Ephesians 2:21-22 (NIV)

sunŏikŏdŏmĕō – to construct, i.e. (pass.) to compose (in company with other Christians,
fig.): - build together.

katŏikētēriŏn – from a der. of katŏikĕō, a dwelling place – habitation.

katŏikĕō – to house permanently, i.e. reside (lit. or fig.): - dwell (-er), inhabitant (-ter).

            Someday I hope to go house hunting. I’ve either lived in my parents’ home or an apartment all my life. My dream is to have a modest house for which I will choose the furnishings and landscaping. It will never make the cover of Better Homes and Gardens or even the back page for that matter because my taste is rather eclectic. However, it will be a reflection of my personality and my desire to create an atmosphere where friends will feel at ease. I look forward, God willing, to putting the place together a bit at a time as my budget will allow.
            It’s amazing to me that when God looked for a residence, he chose to inhabit his people. Talk about eclectic taste! We come in all shapes and sizes, ethnic groups, and denominations; but he has chosen to build us together into his holy temple. He has taken up permanent residence in each believer by his Holy Spirit. I am a part of the body of Christ (possibly an elbow), but I am also a stone or brick in his temple. Maybe a better analogy would be that I am one Lego™ that God is snapping together with other Legos™ to make a fantastic building. A single building block is not too impressive, but masterfully put together they are fascinating.
            I love that word permanently. God has chosen me as his dwelling place, and he will not move out. The Ephesians were Gentiles, but Paul was emphasizing that they were a part of God’s family, his body, and his dwelling place along with the Jewish believers. This is only possible in Christ; and in him, I am being built together with Christians throughout history to be a dwelling place for the Spirit of God. Amazing!
            Thank you, Lord, for choosing to dwell in me. Thank you for fitting me together with other Christians to be a strong building in which your Spirit can dwell and from which you can minister to the world. Help me to serve you fully and gladly each day. Daily mold me into the servant you would have me to be. Thank you for your mercy and grace in choosing me while I was still a sinner. 


No comments: