Saturday, March 19, 2016

CONTENTED AND STRONG


Lord, help me to abide in you,
To tap into your power.
Help me lean on your strong arms
In my darkest hour.
Give me strength to do your will,
Stand firm, and never cower.

“…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
 I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”
Philippians 4:11b-13

autarkēs842 – self-complacent, i.e. contented: - content.

ĕndunamŏō1743 – to empower: - enable, (increase in) strength (-en_, be (make) strong.

            I think that I have mistakenly read “content” as “happy”. Reading verse eleven in the Amplified Version helped me dispel this misconception:

“…for I have learned how to be content (satisfied to the point where I am not disturbed or disquieted) in whatever state I am.”

Contentment might better be described as being at peace. I am not necessarily overjoyed to be in the circumstances I am facing, but I can have inner peace amid outer turmoil. This is another way that Paul is expressing the concept of “peace that transcends all understanding” (Philippians 4:7).
But how do I arrive at having a calm inner spirit? The key is in verse 13 – “through him who gives me strength.” What I need to face each circumstance of life is available in Christ. Jesus tells us to abide in him as a branch abides in the vine (John 15:1-8). A branch separated from the vine soon withers and dies; but the one still attached to its source of food, flourishes.
But how do I live continually in Christ? The key is found in the same passage. His words must remain in me. I need to study the Word of God, memorize it, and meditate on it. Another aspect of dwelling in Christ, is obedience. Jesus goes on to say, “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love” (John 15:10). I most feel the peace of God’s love inside, when I am in obedience to what he has shown me through his word.
The Lord has given us the Holy Spirit to make known to us his will and to comfort us (John 16:5-16). As I soak up God’s word and pray for his peace, the Holy Spirit will be at work in my life to help me be content. When I face important decisions or life changes, I can be at peace deep within as I trust God to lead me. When my circumstances are unpleasant, I can remain content.

Father, help me to put on spiritual armor (Ephesians 6:10-20) each day and stand firm against any circumstance Satan throws my way. Help me to continually abide in Christ.

No comments: