Wednesday, March 2, 2016

LORD, I WANT TO KNOW YOU

Lord, I want to know you,
To feel your awesome power at work in me,
To realize that my suffering
Is molding me to be like Thee.
Lord, help me give my life for others
That they in turn may be free.

 “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection
and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death…”
Philippians 3:10

dunamis1411 – from 1410; force (lit. or fig.); spec. miraculous power (usually by impl. a miracle itself): - ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, mighty (wonderful) work.

kŏinōnia2842 – from 2844; partnership, i.e. (lit.) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction: - (to) communicate (-ation), communion, (contri-) distribution, fellowship.

summŏrphŏs4832 – from 4862 and 3444; jointly formed, i.e. (fig.) similar: - conformed to, fashioned like unto.

            I have come to realize that my weakest moments humanly speaking are often times of great power in my spiritual walk. Trying times, especially those that come as a result of serving the Savior, bring me into deeper prayer and study. This, in turn, infuses me with the power to do the things God has called me to do (Philippians 4:13).
            How do I know Christ? The same way I get to know any friend intimately. One of my closest friends and I probably would not enjoy the tight relationship we have had it not been for forced time alone together. We went on a choir tour to Europe and were roommates for fifteen days in four different countries. We prayed together beforehand to overcome our fears. We saw each other tired and frustrated as well as exhilarated after an evening concert. Together, went through her being trapped in a hotel room with a sticking lock, finding our room full of confetti, another room with no furniture (we were moved to a room with no key), and hiking down four flights of stairs to find a shower. She discovered my intense love of pizza as she watched me find it in every city.  We had the fun of ordering desserts from a good-looking, young Frenchman who insisted I order in French. After the trip, we did many more things together.  I came to know her friends, and she became better acquainted with mine. When we would play Pictionary™, whichever one was drawing barely put the pen to the paper, and the other would shout out the answer. We know each other well.  Even though we no longer have the opportunity to spend time together, we still have a close bond and pray for each other.
            To know Christ as I know my best friend, spending time with him alone is essential. The way to do that is in the study of the Bible, intense prayer, and fellowship with his other friends. Yes, he’ll see your ugly side as well as the face you put on for company. He will love you as you are and show you the riches of his glory!

            Lord, help me to prioritize my time in order to abide with you alone. Let me know your miraculous power in the midst of sharing in your sufferings. Thank you for the grace to do so.

No comments: