Thursday, March 10, 2016

COOPERATION


Though both believers, you and I,
We may not always see eye to eye;
But concerning the Lord we must agree
To work with each other in unity.
We must cooperate toward the common goal
Of bringing good news to the hungry soul.

“I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord.
Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow,
help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel,
along with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers,
 whose names are in the book of life.”
Philippians 4:2-3

sunathlĕō4866 – to wrestle in company with, i.e. (fig.) to seek jointly: - labour with, strive together for.

            Even in Paul’s day the church ladies got into tiffs. It probably happened among the men as well, just as it does today. I know these women were believers because they had worked with Paul to spread the gospel, and he says their “names are in the book of life.” However, they had some kind of ongoing argument between them that was hindering their effectiveness in proclaiming Christ.
            Whenever there is strife in the body of Christ, we lose effectiveness in our witness. Jesus said, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”  The love of God must be evident between us. We must seek and give forgiveness when disagreements arise. We must allow each other to exercise our various gifts and respect each one’s efforts even if we cannot completely agree on how a goal is to be accomplished. As much as possible we must have peace among us (Romans 12:18). Paul gives some very practical guidelines for this:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits.
Romans 12:16 Amplified Version

            I’ve often found that if I’m having a hard time getting along with someone, I need to check my own attitude. Am I feeling superior to her, telling myself she just doesn’t know as much as I do? In other words, am I being conceited?  If I find that I think anything or anyone is “beneath me”, I had better take a reality check. I am supposed to be of the same mind as Christ who “made himself of no reputation, and took on him the form of servant, and was made in the likeness of men” (Philippians 2:7).

            Father, do what it takes to conform me to the image of Christ as you say in Romans 8:29. Lord, take away any haughtiness and enable me to be a true friend to people from all walks of life. Let your love be evident in my life and overflowing to those I know, so that non-believers will see our love and come to Christ. 

No comments: