Saturday, March 12, 2016

REJOICE! THE LORD IS NEAR!


Rejoice in the Lord!
Let him be my delight -
Spending time with him,
Morning, noon, and night.
Immersed in him
So that others will see
A Christ-like manner
When they look at me.

“Rejoice in the Lord always – delight, gladden yourselves in Him; again I say, Rejoice!
Let all men know and perceive and recognize your unselfishness –
your considerateness, your forbearing spirit.
The Lord is near – He is coming soon.”
Philippians 4:4-5 (Amplified Version)

ĕpiĕikēs1933 – appropriate, i.e. (by impl.) mild: -gentle, moderation, patient.

            Do all people see appropriate, Christ-like behavior, in me? Do my coworkers, my neighbors, my friends, and most of all my family? I wish I could answer that I am consistent in being unselfish, considerate, and forbearing. I strive to be gentle, moderate, and patient. I long to be a positive witness for my Lord. So what happens?
            I believe the key is in the previous verse. To the extent that I delight in the Lord, that I immerse myself in my relationship with him, I will exhibit his characteristics. I delight in spending time with people who have accents from foreign countries or even different regions of the USA. If I spend much time with one of these people, I begin to take on their accent. When I went to Russia on a two-week mission trip, one of the translators said that I spoke my Russian phrases with the correct voice inflections and sounded “more Russian” than the other Americans. I pick up accents by spending time with a native speaker.
            Jesus speaks the native “language” of heaven. It is the language of selfless love. To become a more effective ambassador of heaven, I must spend much time with someone from that country. As I spend time with Christ by reading his Word, praying, and listening to his Spirit, I will become more fluent in the language of love. I will imitate the Lord’s mannerisms as a child imitates his father. My grandmother once told me that I batted and ran bases just like my daddy. I wasn’t sure that was a compliment, but how could I do otherwise than to imitate the one who taught me to play ball?
            The Lord has written a handbook for this game of life. I must read it to know how to approach the many situations I face daily. He has provided the perfect coach – the Holy Spirit speaking directly to my conscience to help me think about an action before I take it. He has graciously supplied his listening ear when I have questions about the game or just need to a review a play with him before practicing it on the field. And at the end of a particularly difficult inning, he grants forgiveness when I admit to him that I have fallen short of the goal.

            Father, as I step up to the plate several times each day, help me to swing the bat with confidence and run the bases without becoming weary. Help me to exhibit your love and consideration for others more consistently. Help me to walk and talk more like Jesus as I spend more time with him each day.

No comments: