Thursday, March 17, 2016

THINK ON THESE THINGS

Take account of what the Lord has done
in all the world around you.
Number what is lovely, pure, and true.
Dwell on pure and noble deeds,
those living admirably and right,
instead of wrongs that have been done to you.
Focus on the excellent
and praiseworthy things you hear
instead of all the evil acts of men.
Count the many blessings
that the Lord bestows upon you
and His tender care where’er you’ve been.

“Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
 whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable –
 if anything is excellent or praiseworthy – think about such things.”
Philippians 4:8

lŏgizŏmai3049 – from 3056; to take an inventory, i.e. estimate (lit. or fig.): - conclude, (ac-) count (of), esteem, impute, lay, number, reason, reckon, suppose, think (on).

            I always thought of this verse as another verse to song we sang as small children in Sunday school…“Be careful, little mind, what you think…”. However, when I looked up the full definition of think, a new light was shed on this verse. It reminded me more of the hymn “Count Your Blessings”.  Of course, if I do that, I will be focusing my mind on positive things.
            What is truly amazing is that Paul was writing this from prison, and he was taking his own advice. He was counting the blessings of being in Christ and focusing his attention on encouraging believers through his letters. He was urging them to rejoice in the Lord always (Philippians 4:4). He told them to press on until the day that Christ will transform us to be like him (Philippians 3:21). Paul was uncertain what the outcome of his imprisonment would be, but he took the positive stance that “to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21).
            When I take pictures, I can take a panoramic view that might include unsightly images. However, I have found that in almost any location, I can find an object of beauty to focus in on. Narrowing the picture to that one item, I can take a photo that makes it seem that I am in a beautiful location when, in fact, I’m in a place of desolation. It’s all in how I focus the lens.
            I must train myself to focus the lens of my mind on the blessings God has given me rather than the meanness of this world. Meditating on scripture, appreciating beauty in nature, savoring precious moments with loved ones…these are what I should esteem and think about. Concentrate on blessings rather than problems each night before bed. As the hymn says, “Name them one by one”.

            Father, help me to keep my mind free of clutter and unproductive thinking. Help me to focus on all you have done for me and the good you desire to do through me. Help me to meditate on your word day and night as instructed in Psalm 1. Help me to “think on these things.”

No comments: