Friday, March 4, 2016

THE THINGS WE LEAVE BEHIND

Lord, help me to forget my past
And move forward to a prize that lasts.
Fix my gaze on Jesus Christ
And let me have one goal in life –
To be the person God calls me to be,
To serve the Savior who set me free.

“…But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind
and straining toward what is ahead,
I press on toward the goal to win the prize
for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”
Philippians 3:13.b-14

ĕpilanthanŏmai1950 – from 1909 and 2990; to lose out of mind; by impl. to neglect: - (be) forget (-ful of).

diōkō1377 – a prol. (and caus.) form of a prim. verb dio (to flee; comp. the base of 1169 and 1249); to pursue (lit. or fig.); by impl. to persecute: - ensue, follow (after), given to, (suffer) persecute (-ion), press toward.

            One of Michael Card’s songs contains this fantastic line, “We can’t imagine the freedom we find from the things we leave behind.”  He speaks of Peter abandoning his nets and Matthew getting up from his tax table to follow Jesus. I think we could also apply it to Paul leaving all else behind in order to free himself to pursue the one goal worth attaining, a life hidden in Christ.
            There are many things we need to leave behind. I believe we all need to forget the same items that Paul has been talking about in Philippians chapter three – our past and our own claims to righteousness. We also need to leave sin behind (Hebrews 12:1-3) and not look back. Remember what happened to Lot’s wife (Genesis 19:17-26). We need to forsake our ideal life and trade it for God’s will for us (Matthew 16:24-27).
            None of this will be easy.  Paul describes it as “straining toward what is ahead.” Watch the runners in the Olympics. As they near the finish line, they stretch out their bodies and strain toward that tape because milliseconds may mean the difference between gold or silver. Many times in life it feels like we’re pouring our last ounce of strength into meeting the goals Christ sets before us. However, we have the assurance that the Lord’s own power is inside us, enabling us to continue the race.

            Father, help me to jettison my past in order to lighten my load. Then infuse me with your power to obey you and run the race you have for me. Help me to hear your voice through your word and godly preachers and gain insight into the course you have mapped out for me to run. 

No comments: