Monday, March 30, 2009

40 Days to Live - Day 11

Luke 18:31-34 - Die to Yourself

LIVE IT: Evaluate your commitment to God's Kingdom today.

Sometimes the poor disciples seem clueless; but as this passage points out, the full meaning of Jesus' words was hidden from them. However, on this side of the cross, looking back, we should understand their meaning completely. Christ predicted his death and resurrection. Jesus died in my place on the cross, but He tells me to die to myself daily and live completely for Him. Complete commitment to the Lord and the work of His Kingdom is something I've grappled with most of my adult life. Many times I fall so terribly short, so I must praise Him for His grace! At the time I wrote the following prayer, my singleness and childlessness were what I struggled to surrender. God has since given my my children and shown me that He is my true love. However, surrender to the Lord is a daily battle. Christ knew that when he instructed us to take up our cross daily. I need to pray each morning that the Lord will show me anything that needs to be turned over to Him in order to bring glory to His Kingdom.

Lord, I try to tell You
What I think is best for me…
a godly, loving husband
and a happy family.
Lord, when will I realize
only You can truly see
what lies in the future
and what You know is best for me.

All I want right now, Lord,
is to give my all for You…
give up everything I own;
do what You’ve called me to do.
The path may not be easy
and my friends, they may be few;
but when the trials You do allow,
You’ve the strength to bring me through.

Keep my eyes on You, Lord,
and not on this world’s gold,
not on earthly pleasures
that can make my heart turn cold.
Help me to remember
that it’s to Your hand I hold.
When I share Your gospel,
through Your Spirit make me bold.

1985
Karen Sue Hale

No comments: