Tuesday, March 17, 2009

40 Days to Live - Day 24


Luke 16:1-13 - Be a Wise Steward


My current position as Mom's caregiver gives me added insight into the idea of stewardship. I am a signer on Mom's checking account. I pay all the bills, go to the grocery store, and handle hiring repairmen as needed. Because Daddy was a wise steward of all God provided, our house is paid for, which helps a great deal. However, I must be careful with Mom's money and try to live within her monthly income from Dad's social security and retirement. My sisters and I agree that we need to avoid dipping into her savings as much as possible because we may need it for nursing care or major repairs to the house. My family is counting on me to be a wise steward of mother's funds.


God expects me to be a wise steward as well; and in reality, all that I have is His. Since the decision to give away the dressing table (which by the way has been accomplished), I've been taking stock of other things in my possession that might be given to ministry such as the annual church auction, or donated to the ARC for the use of those affected my mental retardation. I have also decided to begin sending some of my children's books to my grandchildren and giving some to my sisters' grandchildren. I may not be drawing much in the way of salary, but there are still things I can share with others. Because of my parent's good example through the years, I know the importance of tithing even when the amount seems small. God can bless those funds and have them reach farther than I could if I spent them myself.


Sometimes I feel sad that I'm no longer able to give over $300 a month to the church. That's why I really appreciated the "Live It" statement on the study guide today: "Consider that everybreath and moment today belongs to God." It's not just about money. Money is actually a small portion of our stewardship. We need to be good stewards of our LIVES. I am finding more and more ways I can be actively ministering to others with my life right here from home. No excuses! Each breath is HIS!


Each time I breathe, may I exhale praise;

for the air I drew in came from Father.

May I view each moment as a gift from God,

never considering life a bother.

May I be a good steward of the life I've been given,

each step taken to the glory of the Lord.

May I allow Him each day to transform my mind

by spending time with Him through His word.

May the words that I speak edify others,

and never be used to put down.

May the message I share, the seeds that I sow,

fall on listening ears, fertile ground.

No comments: