Wednesday, March 25, 2009

40 Days to Live - Day 16


Luke 18:1-8 - Enter His Courts


LIVE IT: Enter God's presence and stay there - all day long


On a singles' retreat, the leader instructed us to leave the morning worship and talk ONLY to God until the afternoon meeting. We were told to read the Bible, pray, sing; but whatever we did, communicate only with the Lord. We were to silent unless praying or singing to the Lord. This was a challenge for many of those in attendance because the social aspect of retreats was high on the list of reasons to attend. This "quiet time" lasted from about 9:00 a.m. until about 2:00 p.m., if I remember correctly. That encompassed lunch. I knew right away that I would have to take my lunch tray to the opposite side of the room, away from all people, if I were to keep silent because normally I could talk the bark off a tree! I chose to read in the Psalms because I always feel very close to God and find much to pray about there. I found myself singing Psalms to God, confessing to Him, pleading for friends, etc. The time passed more quickly than I would have thought and the Holy Spirit moved in my life that day in many ways.


I set aside time to spend with the Lord every day, but rarely an entire afternoon, let alone the entire day. When I was younger, I used to go on "Thee and Me" dates...just go someplace like the botanic gardens and spend time with the Lord for most of the day. Although I can't just hop in the car and go right now, there is no reason I can't spend more time with the Lord. I do pray often while I work in my flower beds or clean house. But I need to take time occasionally to just "Be still and know that He is God." It seems that in times of crisis, I am more apt to do this. I need to learn to do it during the calm times as well.


Lord, please keep me on my knees,

because from that position I can see

that You are truly all I have,

yet You are all I need.

Lord, please keep me on my knees.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks