Tuesday, March 3, 2009

40 Days to Live

Day 38 - Luke 11:27-36 Walk in His Marvelous Light


I just went to the optometrist this morning and discussed the possibility that I may develop glaucoma. Therefore, I need to return in 6 months to repeat a test I had today in order to determine whether I need to begin treatment with eye drops. Glaucoma gradually robs a person of vision starting with peripheral and moving in until a tunnel of light is left before becoming blind. However, it's very treatable with drops and, if necessary, surgical procedures. The important thing is to catch it early.

What does all this have to do with our 40 Days to Live study? God, in His grace and perfect timing, knew I would have my eye exam today. It is no coincidence that he gave me food for thought on the day when our instructions included "Confront any darkness that is trying to put out His light in you."

Father, you sent your only begotten Son
to die in payment for my sin.
After three days within the tomb,
You raised Christ to life again.
Wiser than Solomon, greater than Jonah,
the name of Jesus is greatest of all.
Only the Lord Jesus can save me
and make me stand when I'm prone to fall.
I have routine checkups and specialized tests
to prevent my eyes from growing dim.
Only Christ can prevent loss of spiritual sight;
so I must focus my thoughts on Him.
Lord, let your light so shine in me
that others are drawn to Your grace.
Take the lies of the world out of my mind.
Help me to seek only Your face.
Help me to identify darkness early
and remove it by the truth of Your Word.
Help me to be a light to the world,
to lead others to trust in You, Lord.

No comments: