Monday, April 6, 2009

40 Days to Live - Day 5

Luke 19:28-44 - Weep Over Your City

LIVE IT: Weep over your city today - pray for a spiritual awakening.

Recently I sang a song for my Sunday school class. I wrote "Prayer for Santa Fe" after a mission trip to that city with the youth group from Glenview Baptist Church. After I finished singing it, one of the class members said, "You could just as easily be singing about Fort Worth." How often do I weep and pray over other places I've traveled on mission trips and fail to weep and pray for my own DFW area?

Prayer for Santa Fe (or FW or Hurst or Bedford)
High upon a hilltop in the morning light we stood,
and from that view the city looked so clean...it looked so good;
but as we closed our eyes to pray, their faces filled my mind,
and the thing that I remembered most was the darkness in their eyes.

Darkness had filled their minds.
Myriad philosophies had made them blind.
They were searching for salvation but apart from Christ.
Could our words bring hope to them and bring them life?

Lord, I pray for Santa Fe, for all of her people who have gone astray,
who think they’ll find salvation in some mystical New Age.
I pray that You’ll shine down on them and show the way.

For darkness has filled their minds.
Their myriad philosophies have left them blind.
They’re looking for salvation, but they don’t see Christ.
Let the things we shared bring them to Your light.

Father, take the seed that we planted on that night.
Grow it in their hearts and minds, fill them with Your light.
Take away their darkness. Replace it with Your truth.
Than let Your light so shine in them that it draws more men to You.

Chase the darkness out of their minds.
Take the myriad philosophies that made them blind.
Replace them with salvation, the light of Christ.
Then let their lives help others see that You are life.

No comments: