Saturday, April 4, 2009

40 Days to Live - Day 6


John 12:1-11 Worship Richly


LIVE IT: Praise God in an extravagant way today.


Mary anointed Jesus' feet with an expensive perfume, the best she had. The fragrance filled the room, so everyone was aware of what she had done. Judas criticized her as being wasteful, but Jesus rebuked him.


Sometimes we are criticized for praising Jesus extravagantly. I remember in my youth being told that I sang too emotionally and must be just trying to draw attention to myself. I took that so to heart, that the next time I was asked to sing, I insisted that I be hidden off stage. I wanted the people to only be aware of the song, not the singer. I wanted them to focus on the lyrics, not my face. I know I have been distracted by singers who seem to be so carried away with their praise that they are unaware of anything else. I should not feel this way. I should be glad they have the freedom to give themselves totally to praise even when before an audience and realize they are not performing for me, but for the audience of One; and He may be most pleased with them.


Longing to Praise Perfectly


I am so weak;
I am so bad.
I know my actions
must make You sad.
And my inaction
toward the things I should do
must be a great
disappointment to You.
You gave Your all.
You died for me.
You rose again
so I could be free.
My greatest love,
my most sincere praise
cannot be enough
to merit Your gaze;
yet You look at me
with love ever true,
forgiveness and grace
that come only from You.
To be so incapable
frustrates me so,
and I cry bitter tears
because I want to show
a love that is perfect
in every way,
to stand without flaw
in the bright light of day…
But I just have to praise you
for loving me now
although I’ll admit
I can’t understand how
You could possibly claim me
with all of my sin.
Through Jesus, cleanse me
anew to begin.
Thank You for loving me
as I am tonight,
but I pray for the day
when we’ll live in Your light.
And then, up in Heaven
I’ll be able to give
the perfect love You deserve
as long as I live…Forever!

No comments: